Monday, July 12, 2010

Pursue Ignition?

Remember that Zenith/Cornerstone recap blog I mentioned about 3 years ago?

This is it.
(I know at least 3 of you just started singing a song)

Rather than just ramble on about the minor details of both camps for pages (which we all know I am capable of...) i'll just tell my feelings about how the camp tied together.

During youth group time at Zenith, Jason had everyone tell the group something they want to work on over the summer that they learned about over the past week. Despite a huge list I could have named, I went with serving sacrificially (I think we had learned about that in the last class of the day, or the lesson we just heard). I really like helping people... usually. There are just some times I do not want to. Usually I try to power through and suck it up, but I want to be better at not thinking about myself all the time.

This was my group at Zenith... Group 11!

That was Thursday night. Cut to Sunday afternoon... Cornerstone.

I was still REALLY tired from Zenith. I hadn't had a chance to catch up on sleep or even do my laundry. I was seemingly the only person on the planet who had not seen Toy Story 3 (which was wonderful - don't worry I got to see it eventually). Despite the great week at Zenith and wonderful weekend, all I wanted to do was, well, nothing for a while. But the campers were arriving.

One of my least favorite activities ever is learning new names. I'm just not good at it, and it's an important task. At Zenith, I only had to learn 5 new names. This week, I had 17. And none of them had watches, clocks or phones. Or knew where they were going on campus.

Remember that scene in Evan Almighty about praying for patience then getting an opportunity to do so, not just the sudden onset of patience? ... Yep. Barely 3 days after saying I wanted to be a better servant, an entire week full of opportunities was given to me.

Through the haze of no sleep, Cheez-Its, talking to 13 year old boys and OC Caf summer food, I did not recognize this until Thursday during group time with the Cornerstone kids. But I thought it was sort of cool to see the turnaround on that little request I made. Good thing i've got another month (an another mission trip with the jr. high kids) to consciously work on it some more.

Cornerstone Group - 3!

Cheesy/lame.... maybe. But this is my blog.

Here are some pictures to distract you from how long that post was...


This is how my host family spends their evenings. Or boggle. I've only seen the tv on twice all summer! They just like hanging out with each other, it's cute.


This is very close to THE purple room. My dream room. I will have a purple room in my house one day. Also, how had I never been to IKEA before? It's a land of dreams... and it smells of cinnamon.


Cow Appreciation Day. Where we dress like idiots all in the name of free food.... How much more American do you get? However often I mock it, this day is like Christmas to me.


#5 12 piece with a coke, waffle fries and chik'fil'a sauce. Mmmm. It was delicious. And I ate the whole thing, BY MYSELF.
(PS I hope all of you know what i'm referencing right now... it's surprisingly not an episode of friends.)

Wow that was lengthy. I should do some real work now. I say that hoping that Jason has not discovered my blog, ha.

Have a wonderful day, and thank you for updating your blogs so I have something to creep on.

- Steph

1 comment:

  1. This is it! Here I stand! I'm the light of the world, I feel grand!

    ReplyDelete