Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nooo, Corey with a C.

This week is VBS here at Legacy. 

By day, i'm a youth intern. By night, a children's intern.

During my office hours I plan a VBS for the Junior High Mission Trip to San Antonio. I'm basically planning the whole thing alone as far as our time at Urban Connections goes. Crafts, games, puppet skits, veggie tales movies and snacks. I am even holding the meeting with the junior high kids and their parents all by myself, Jason will be out of town. So far i've got the schedule for the day, the Bible lessons and most of the games picked out. The parent meeting isn't until Sunday so i've got some time to get everything together (enough time to update a blog, obviously). I like working with kids so i'm excited for the trip. Also, i've participated in more VBS's (VBS-i? Weird plural) than I can count, so I feel like this is a job I can definitely handle.

In the evenings, I help kindergartners tie-dye shirts and talk about how cool everything they say is. VBS is way more fun when you get to talk to the kids, they really do say the darnedest things.

Last night while helping the 5 year olds tie-dye (side note, I didn't know this would be my job until halfway through the night, so I was wearing jeans and a white shirt... whoops) there were 2 boys named Corey standing next to each other in line. Confusing. Trying to figure out a solution to the name situation, this conversation occurred:

Stephanie: Hi Corey! *Both turn and look at me* Umm... have both of you had your shirts done yet?

Corey #1: Yeah, the bald guy has mine. I want blue.

Corey #2 (simultaneously with Corey #1): Nope. I want red.

Stephanie: Ok awesome! Let me take your shirt Corey.... what is your last name?

Corey #2: Mullins (or something with an M, i'm bad with names)

Stephanie: Can I call you Corey M.?

Corey #2: NO. Corey. With a C. CCCCCorey. Not an M.

Stephanie: .....i'm sorry! I'm silly. Of course it's with a C. I'm going to call you Red Corey since your shirt is red, and your friend will be Blue Corey. How does that sound?

Corey #1 and #2: I don't care.

Stepahnie: Great!

I then made some comment to myself about them joining gangs in the future. While the preacher was, unbeknownst to me, standing behind me. Don't worry though, he laughed pretty hard. It should be a pretty fun week. I love VBS. Kids singing is one of the funniest/cutest things ever.



This is when all of the kids got on stage for the "biggest chorus ever" during the opening. I wish i'd taken a picture when the stage was all set up, it looked pretty cool. I'll try to get one of the market place sometime this week. (I just feel like blogs are more interesting with pictures).


I am now off to lunch. By that I mean I am going to the library to eat my homemade sandwich with the secretaries and children's minister. I have no idea what the men of the office do for lunch on most days. 


- Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment